Latinx Heritage Month Profile: Dora Herrera
Dora Herrera is a restauranteur whose family-run establishment has been bringing diners, hungry for authentic Mexican food, the True Flavor of México since 1976.
YUCA’S customers span 4 generations of satisfied and loyal addicts to the small-batch, quality-driven menu served out of the 8’x10’ converted shoeshine stand known fondly as, The Hut.
The small establishment holds the honor of being the first, and so far only, taco stand to receive the coveted James Beard Award in the America’s Classics category.
When not working, Dora enjoys giving back to her community through the Public Media Group Latino Community Council, and as an Ambassador with the L.A. Area Chamber, Goldman Sachs 10K Small Businesses program, and the Multicultural Women Executive Leadership Program.
To honor Dora’s dedication to growing her small business and her community building efforts, the L.A. Area Chamber created the Small Business of the Year Award in 2020, and gave YUCA’S RESTAURANTS the honor of being its first recipient.
Most recently, The California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce (CHCC) awarded Dora the Pioneer Empresaria award at their 42nd Convention in Palm Springs, CA. The award” recognizes a woman who has initiated, developed, applied, or has led the way to innovative methods in business. A Pioneer is recognized for her wiliness to accept risk by seizing opportunities that continues to impact future generations, her industry, and community.”
Dora is a graduate of the Stanford Latino Entrepreneurs Leadership Program, Goldman Sachs 10KSB, Multicultural Women Executive Leadership Program led by Dr. Yasmin Davidds, and the SCMSDC (Southern CA Minority Supplier Diversity Council) RISE Program.
Dora is a Member of the following Associations:
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce, ambassador
- Brown University Latino Alumni Community of L.A.
- Public Media Group Latino Community Council
- Latino Restaurant Association
- We All Grow Latina
- City Impact Lab
- Friends of Los Feliz Library, president
- Friends of Griffith Park, charter board member
- Los Feliz Village Business Improvement District, past president, founding board member
- Greater Griffith Park Neighborhood Council (now Los Feliz NC), founding board member
- Latina Golfers Association